On the outskirts of Philadelphia resides St. Vladimir Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral, a parish that has ministered to orthodox Christians for generations.
Organized in 1925 as a Ukrainian Orthodox Community dedicated to St. Andrew the First-called Apostle, the Cathedral of St. Vladimir continues to proclaim the Gospel of Christ for the spiritual benefit of parish family members from Eastern and Western Ukraine and generations born in America.
Chartered on April 26, 1928 as St. Vladimir Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Philadelphia, the community became the Episcopal See of the first Ukrainian Orthodox Bishop of the USA, His Beatitude Metropolitan-Archbishop John Theodorovich. In 1930 an edifice was purchased at the corner of Germantown Avenue and Berks Street. Changing demographics necessitated steps to relocate the Cathedral See. In 1965, Metropolitan John consecrated property purchased for the new complex at the corner of North Fifth and Independence Streets. The new edifice was consecrated on September 11, 1966.
The celebration took place on October 21st, 2018. On this day St. Vladimir parish celebrated its 92nd anniversary, 52nd anniversary of consecration and the Feast of Pokrova. The day began with a traditional greeting of Metropolitan Antony with bread and salt and by the children of the parish welcoming Archpastor to his cathedral.
The Hierarchal Divine Liturgy was served by His Eminence Metropolitan Antony along with Fr. Taras Naumenko, Dean of the Cathedral, and Fr. Volodymyr Khanas. The parish was also honored to have the Seminarians from St. Sophia’s Seminary join the celebration. Liturgy was accompanied by the church choir which is comprised of approximately 25 singers of all ages. Under the direction of Karen Ferraro, who has served as a choir director for over 30 years, the choir beautified the church service. The children’s choir has also participated in the Liturgy by singing hymns such as “New Commandment” and “God’s Holy Family”.
During his sermon, Metropolitan Antony commended the parish community for their perseverance over all the challenges the past century has brought. He also talked about an immense accomplishment, the unification of two parishes, St. Vladimir and St. Pokrova, after St. Pokrova suffered tragic fire that destroyed the church in August of 2013. The two parishes unified in year 2015.
At the close of Liturgy awards were presented to several church members for their dedicated service to St. Vladimir Cathedral and the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA. The Order of St. Andrew awards were presented by His Eminence to Edward Zetick - Parish Council President; Ivan Prasko - Parish Council Vice-President; Daria O’Byrne - Church School Director; Karen Ferraro - Church Choir Director; Anna Rosputko; Maria Filipenko; Dr. Natalie Bilynsky, and Andrew Passyn. The Testament if Blessing Certificate Award was presented to Ihor and Vera Jaryi for the unprecedented assistance that they provided post St. Pokrova fire.
Following Divine Liturgy a banquet was held at the Cathedral hall. Luncheon was prepared by the Sisterhood of the Blessed Virgin Mary under the leadership of honorary member of the Sisterhood, Andrew Passyn. The parish’s greatest asset - it’s youth, made this event truly memorable. Youth of all ages helped prepare, serve and clean up after the event. They are our present and our future! The banquet concluded with the benediction by Metropolitan Antony