On Sunday, November 8, 2009, St. Demetrius Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral commemorated its 100th Anniversary with a Hierarchical Divine Liturgy on the parish’s Patronal Feast Day. Founded in 1909 by Ukrainian immigrants from Galychyna (western Ukraine), the Carteret, NJ parish was honored to have His Eminence Archbishop Antony, His Eminence Archbishop Jeremiah, His Grace Bishop Daniel, along with Fr. Bazyl Zawierucha, Fr. Ihor Bobak, serving with the pastor Protopresbyter Taras Chubenko.
In preparation for this “once in a lifetime” event, the parishioners of St. Demetrius worked together to make many renovations to parish buildings and grounds. New icons including a magnificent “Pantocrator,” renovations to the sanctuary along with new carpeting throughout the church were installed, the bathrooms were renovated, the interior of the church received a fresh coat of paint, new landscaping was put in around the rectory, and new signage with a ceramic icon of St. Demetrius of Thessaloniki, was installed in front of the rectory. In tandem to the renovations on the church grounds, the church also renovated their “real estate” on the world wide web with a fresh new look for the parish website.
After Divine Liturgy, parishioners enjoyed a reception honoring the hierarchs at the parish Banquet Center. A sumptuous agape brunch was served, and a good time was had by all. The festivities continued on the following Saturday, when a large Banquet was held with a formal dinner, along with a program that included the Metropolitan of our Church, His Beatitude Constantine, His eminence Archbishop Antony and His Grace Bishop Daniel. The evening began with a musical selection of Bandura music performed by Seminarian Bohdan Khromenko with a concluding performance by the Ukrainian dance troupe “Iskra” which included two parishioners of St. Demetrius.