Javascript Menu by Deluxe-Menu.com
Our Faith...

Mother of God of the Life-Giving Spring

The Feast of the Life-giving Spring which is kept on the Friday of Bright Week has its origins in the 5th century.  It is the feast that commemorates the consecration of the Church of the Life-giving Spring outside of Constantinople.

The very large and beautiful church named in honor of the Theotokos of the Life-giving Spring was built about the middle of the fifth century by the Emperor Leo the Great (457-474 AD), outside of Constantinople.  Emperor Leo was a pious man (he is commemorated on January 20th) and before he became Emperor, he had encountered a blind man, who being tormented with thirst asked him to help him find water.  Leo felt compassion for him and went in search of a source of water, but found none.  As he was about to cease his search, he heard a voice telling him there was water nearby.  He looked again, and found none.  Then he heard the voice again, this time calling him "Emperor" and telling him that he would find muddy water in the densely wooded place nearby; he was to take some water and anoint the blind man's eyes with it.  When he had done this, the blind man received his sight.

After Leo became Emperor, as the Most Holy Theotokos had prophesied, he raised up a church temple over the spring, whose waters worked many healings, as well as resurrections from the dead, through the intercessions of the Theotokos. From this, it came to be called the "Life-giving Spring."

Justinian the Great (527-565 AD) was also cured by the waters of “The Life-giving Spring” and in gratitude built a new church temple, larger than the first. It was destroyed by earthquakes  and rebuilt by grateful emperors.

After the fall of Constantinople to the Turks in 1453, this church temple was razed to the ground and the materials from it were used for building the mosque of Sultan Beyazıt.  Nothing remained of that church’s ancient beauty, except for a small chapel, almost completely buried in the ruins.  This chapel had twenty-five steps going down into it, and a transom window on the roof, from which it received a little light.  Toward the western side of the chapel was the holy Spring, fenced about with a railing.

In 1821 even that little remnant was destroyed.  The sacred Spring was buried with it and disappeared altogether. But in the days of Sultan Mahmud, when those subject to him were rejoicing in their freedom to practice their religion, permission was sought by the Orthodox Christian community to rebuild at least the chapel.  Permission was granted to build a church temple and it was consecrated on Bright Friday in 1835. But on the night of September 6-7, 1955, it along with 73 other Orthodox churches in Istanbul, was desecrated and burned to the ground by the Turks.  The church has been restored yet once again, but not anywhere its former magnificence. 

O Most Holy Theotokos of the Life-giving Spring, save us!

Share This:



< PreviousNext >
You might also like:
   UOW Archive            UOL Archive

 Prayer Books         Icons




 
     
 

Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA
P.O. Box 495;
South Bound Brook, NJ 08880
732-356-0090 (Phone) / 732-356-5556 (Fax)

Offices:
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA
Metropolia Center
135 Davidson Avenue; Somerset, NJ 08873

Email:
consistory@uocofusa.org
webmaster@uocofusa.org



 

  



 News
 Announcements
 All
Name:
Email:
 
 

Powered by Orthodox Web Solutions